September 24, 2007
Book Twist June-August 2007


The allure of the outdoors on me is waning. The odd part is that I do not mind locking up myself in my apartment heavily contrasting my old lifestyle when the only chance you can keep me from the great alfresco is when it’s time to sleep and when I am in my room busy unpacking shopping bags.

Cutting down my terrestrial activities gives me time to catch up on my reading. As of late, I did most of my catching-up in the toilet where I used to waste my time musing on the day the Philippines once again wins the Miss Universe crown. Here are the five titles that kept my every fart, grunt and flush company over the past three months:

Shattered Icon
By Bill Napier

A waste of toilet daydreaming time where the only thing shattered here is the plot. It didn’t help either that my farts and turds have more dimension than the characters. Not worth telling about.



Memories of Midnight
By Sidney Sheldon



One of the pros of having a Virgo moment of excessive compulsiveness i.e. keeping your apartment as pristine as possible to the last dust, crease and askew-ness is stumbling into something wonderful like this Sheldon novel of illicit affairs, murders and vengeances.

The plot has a few miniscule leaks but if you share my frivolous fascination for an amalgam of scandal, sex and vindication then this novel is a handy toilet companion.

Note: This novel is the continuation of his 1973 best seller 'The Other Side of Midnight'.



Fat Land
By Greg Critser

Mr. Crister is funny and witty on the first five pages…only. Halfway through, I decided to read something else.


Veronica Decides to Die
By Paulo Coelho


It is not difficult to come into a decision and say: 'I want to die now.' or for a gayer version you say 'I want to die na, like now naaaaaaaaa!'.

Once too many, whenever I wallow over my sorrowful mysteries I often conclude my lamentations with a declaration of my desire to see the end of my mortal life but I always fall short of having the courage to even consider killing myself rendering me technically a non-suicidal. I can’t even cut a chicken's throat--I’m a coward.

There are several ways to take in this light read from Mr. Coelho. It is a fictional retell on his (Coelho) stint on an institution. It is a woman’s sojourn in her quest for self worth. It is a critique on the social and moral order of our time. For me it is thorny love story between Veronica and herself.


Lipstick Jungle
By: Candance Bushnell



It’s “Sex and the City” ten years after. Same New York and same fab-ness plus kids, disconcerting husbands, pending divorce, CEO issues, extra-marital affairs and all that post-"single and fabulous" stuff. A fun read of three aplomb women in an equally aplomb city dealing with life after they’ve done all the climbing and are already there.

Note: While Sex and the City’s success on primetime TV has been monumental, Lipstick Jungle will chance upon turning into a hit come January on NBC. Brooke Shields leads the main cast.


Labels:

posted by Bryan Anthony the First at 9/24/2007 |



14 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
frenship, dba hiramin ko yung veronica ek ek? san na?
 




At 1:12 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
cge, iuwi ko...gagawin na rin daw syang movie...
 




At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
frenship parang like ko yang lipstick ek ek
 




At 1:13 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
keri lang yung book, wala masado jukitan though... so lets see nalang pano yung movie
 




At 12:23 PM, Blogger ruff nurse-du-jour said........
thanks for the visit bryan. so ive heard that "veronika decides to die" is going be shown on the big screen. ;)

couldn't wait for that.

thanks for the link bryan. added you up too. and oh, as for the sexual-themed dream, er, check out my july/aug post "unwritten/irreplaceable." =)
 




At 2:56 PM, Blogger tin-tin said........
i just bought yung bagong book ni pareng paulo na the witch of portobello :)
 




At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
First and foremost I just love the new look of your blog. It is oozing with fabulousness! I would certainly check that last book and yes I love Brooke Shields!
 




At 11:56 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@ruff: thanks for visiting too...cge pasyalan ko yung post mo na yun
 




At 11:57 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@tin: hmmmmm masilip nga rin
 




At 11:59 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@chase: you like the skin? thanx!!! gumanda ng lalo si brooke
 




At 11:07 AM, Blogger Kiks said........
I watched Sydney Sheldon's novels-turned-telenovelas in Star Movies. Type ko talaga ang If Tomorrow Comes.

Lipstick Jungle seems a very interesting read.

Seriously, what's the hype with Coelho?
 




At 1:23 PM, Blogger ......... said........
gusto ko ung mga entries mu.. nakakatuwa.. ilalagay kita sa links ko ha? ty, exchange link din. If tom Never Comes, gusto ku!
 




At 11:56 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@kiks: manipis lang kasi books ni paolo, madaling matapos :-)
 




At 11:57 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@abc: ganda ng name, parang taga sesame street
tnx sa visit cge ex links tayo