May 11, 2007
Book Twist- April 2007

For the simple reason of not wanting to write about the unentertaining wackiness the Filipino community gossips are I’ll share my thoughts about books that kept me company the month before. The thing is, this gig is not necessarily a book review or its ilk. Like what I’ve mentioned 18 words ago, I’ll share my thoughts about books that kept me company the month before.

I hope you’d still put up with another monthly thing.


1. We’ll Meet Again
By: Mary Higgins Clark

A blood-drenched wife with all the good reason to murder his philandering husband lost all her recollections at the time of the crime. But her finger prints were all over the place. After spending five years behind bars she began to vaguely recall that someone else was there when his husband was killed.

It’s always true that no matter how Chowking or your neighbor with dirty finger nails mixes your halo halo, every glass will always have crushed ice, milk and sugar. Similarly, every Mary Higgins Clarks I’ve read has a murder or two; a very unlikely but very circumstantially guilty suspect; a very likely but slightly circumstantially guilty suspect and my wrong guess. The rest are colorful fruits. Nevertheless this familiar halo halo is teeming with all the MHC skill I’ve come to love.

N.B.
Mother-of-two Kris Aquino claims that she’d read every single novel of Ms. Clark. If her fondness of the “Queen of Suspense” has nothing to do with the thrill she gets from trial run-ing men producing a Joshua, syphilis, and Yap Jr. as a result, then none of us is the wiser.

2. The Twist
By: Olivia Goldsmith


Murder is another way of dealing with a Casanova husband. A wife-mistress swap is another. Sylvie wants the old romance back; her look-alike Mistress Marla wants a husband. To pull it off the switcheroo that is, it helps that wife and the mistress can pass for as twins.

“The Twist” is another hilarious scuffle on the issues of monogamy and middle life crisis from the same writer who brought us “The First Wives Club”.

N.B.
Ms. Goldsmith has written 30.


3. Infamous Murderers
By: Rodney Castleden

I mistook the book to be biographies of slayers, butchers and killers. It turned out to be the kind of stuff for police academy freshmen. The writer tackled the merits of the crimes more than it probed on the personalities involved.

Mr. Castleden’s diligence in highlighting the flaws of these imperfect murders makes this a good read for those who plan to fool-proof their own.


11 May 2007

Labels: ,

posted by Bryan Anthony the First at 5/11/2007 |



10 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger pat said........
wow. we just had the same idea for an entry on the same day. is this fate or what? Ü
 




At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Well havent read any novels from Mary Higgins Clark since when it comes to murder or mystery it is either Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys which always catch my fancy
 




At 9:23 AM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@pat: maybe we should get matrried na!
:-)
 




At 9:24 AM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@chase: nancy drew ba? ganda rin yun.
 




At 6:50 PM, Blogger tin-tin said........
you love reading murder books. or soemthing to do with philandering husbands. hehe ;p
 




At 9:51 AM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@tin: both hehehe
 




At 6:53 AM, Blogger Ernesto said........
I love mystery books. Reading Nancy Drew (the original series) helped me a lot in school. I'm such a big fan I have the first 50 Nancy Drew books in my shelf. I also enjoy reading Mary Higgins Clark. I met her once when I was still in college. I didn't really know what to say so I just told her that I love her writing, had my copy signed and then left (I'm such a dork).
 




At 10:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said........
Ohhhh, books and murder. I love it!
There's something else we have in common.

Cheers!
 




At 6:09 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@ernsto:you met MHC? wow! hey thanks for the visit!
 




At 6:09 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said........
@mel: im sure we do... miss ya mellie!